Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Transfering film from one camera to another.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Shutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    If I had loaded a super 8 carterage in one camera and took it out to put in another camera, will it expose the film? could I take out the film in the dark?
    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member firestorm_bsf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 26th, 2003
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Moving the film to one camera to another will not harm much of the film. It will expose what ever part is showing but really won't hurt too much. Doing it in the dark will mean that no film is exposed to light, and therefore no harm done.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Actor's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 9th, 2000
    Posts
    622
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    I've done it. I shot a test roll and transerred the cart between three cameras in broad daylight. You lose about 7 frames between the transfers. That's about a 1/3 second flash when projected.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member BolexPlusx's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2002
    Posts
    369
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do it all the time since I use different cameras for different situations. On a couple of cartridges I've done it multiply, with the cartridge sometimes winding up back in the camera it started in! It's one of the neat parts of using super-8.

    I typically swap the film in the dark although it's true that you lose very few frames by doing a swap in daylight. What you see on a cartridge swapped in the dark is that the frame that was in the gate at the point of the swap gets multiply exposed until the dog on the second camera swings around far enough to engage the cartridge and move the film.

    The only important consideration is that you need to record how much film is remaining because the footage counter on the second camera is going to start at 50 feet no matter how much is really left on the cartridge. I write it in pen on the cartridge label just before I do the swap.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Shutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 24th, 2003
    Posts
    24
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Cool

    Thanks guys, that helped me out alot!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •